Sunday, March 27, 2016

GO! Workout

When I think of things I'm grateful for, that I picked up quilting as my hobby of choice always makes the list. It's brought me good times, helped me through hard times, and invited the friendship of wonderful women into my life. I love, too, how quilting lets us bring gifts to others as well. A friend is fighting cancer and so I've been collecting well wishes from co-workers. This weekend it's been all about sewing up those blocks.  (I whited out the names to protect people's privacy).


These have been great blocks for my leaders and enders tumbler project. Wow, have I made progress this weekend!


They may not look like much all neatly folded up (there's some more strips out of the camera image as well), but I have the rows for the lap quilt nearly all finished. Just a few more patches to add and then I'll be joining the rows together. I'm excited about that -- all part of my current need to finish the old as well as start the new.

The working dies for this week:


I love when dies play well together -- like how the 3" finished half square triangles line up so perfectly with the signature die.


And there is a new Big gadget in my sewing room!


That was an indulgence that nearly had me hyper-ventilating before I clicked purchase. Though there is at least some reason to the madness. My doctor has a habit of starting sentences with "Well, at your age . . . ." And what being an old gray mare of my age means is that those repetitive stress injuries are way too easy to come by. I can feel it on occasion when I'm doing a lot of GO! work -- cranking that handle again and again. I feel it with rotary cutting as well. My elbow and shoulder just ain't what they used to be. So I'm hoping the GO! Big can keep me quilting away with a little less wear and tear, since I am a woman of a certain age (and then some).

6 comments:

  1. Oh {envy envy} congratulations on your GO! BIG purchase--I hope it gives you a lot of pleasure....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope so, too! If nothing else, it should keep me using my GO! dies -- I'd feel far too guilty if I just let it sit there!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You got it! There'll be stopping you now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really curious to see how much it impacts what quilts I decide to make. It certainly feels like a commitment!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely idea to make your friend a signature quilt! I know what you mean by quilting seeing you thru the rough spots of life. Quilting brings joy and is great therapy, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quilting is such a gift! I don't know what I would do without it!

      Delete