Wednesday, July 27, 2011

One Year Anniversary

It’s been a while since Mom’s had me do a guest blog but today seemed the right day for it since it’s my one year anniversary.  So, greetings all!

It’s been an eventful year for me.

I’ve gone to a lot of classes: Puppy Class (Mom said I was “the Star”), Beginning Obedience (the teacher told Mom I was “a catch”!), Intermediate Obedience (Mom said I passed only because the teacher graded on the curve – just because I thought it was more fun to socialize than stay in heel position – Jeez!), and now I am in Agility.  Agility is a lot of fun: I get to run through tunnels, climb ramps, and jump over fences.  I’m not real hot on the teeter but Mom tells me I’m going to be a champ at it in no time, so we’ll see.

I’ve been to see the Vet a bunch over the last year  though I really don’t want to talk about what happened one of those times. 

I did some work re-landscaping the backyard which Mom and Dad don’t appreciate as much as they should.  They are hiring someone to come in and do it all over again! 

Mostly though I just hang out with Mom and Dad and that’s fine.  We go for a walk every morning – though Mom is usually lagging a bit behind!

I wait up for her though.

I get to meet lots of other dogs.  They aren’t always as happy to see me as I am to see them.  Mom tells me that when a dog is lunging at the end of his owner’s leash and is snarling and barking at me, it means he doesn’t really want to play with me.  But playing is so much fun, why wouldn’t he?  I just don’t get it.

Mom tells me it’s important to be polite, so whenever someone else is on the trail she steps off  to the side and I know to go and sit right by her side until they pass.  I like that she is always teaching me new commands but sometimes it is a bit confusing.  Right now she’s teaching me to move from one side to another and back again.  That can be confusing but Mom says I’m doing just fine and we’ll just keep practicing till I get it.  (Practicing means lots of treats so, you know, that’s a good thing).

We don’t really disagree about much.  Still, I think that if someone bends over to say hello to me they want me to jump up and say hi.  That way they don’t have to bend over, right?  Mom doesn’t think so.  I have tried to convince her that sometimes we can just agree to disagree, but she hasn’t come around yet.  She still thinks everything has to be her way.  Of course, doing things her way usually means that I get more treats and praise and lots of pets.  So mostly I listen.  

Once we get home from our walk, I am ready for a rest! 

(Mom calls me the anti-Aussie because I am so mellow.)

I could say more but I guess the big thing is that Mom and Dad say they are really lucky they chose me, and I feel lucky they chose me, too. 

And now Dad is waving a night time biscuit at me and that means it’s bed time.  I need to rest because Mom needs me to take her for that walk first thing in the morning.   (Usually she’s pretty good about getting up but it’s my job to make sure.  If she doesn’t get up in time, I jump up on the bed and look at her until she gets the message.  Don’t tell her I said this, but I’ve done a fair amount of people training this last year.  Mom may grumble but in the face of the look, she listens every single time!)

So, that’s it.  It’s been a good year.  Mom and Dad say that every day I make them smile.  Mom says that not everyone is a dog person.  (Really?)  She says that people who are though are very lucky because being loved by a dog is special.  So, that’s my job.  One year and counting.

2 comments:

  1. Cute story. Sounds like you both have been trained well. Ed says everyone's always on their good behavior when they meet on the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just loved this post!! You have a beautiful dog, what a treasure!!!! Thankyou for sharing the first anniversary with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete