Tuesday, September 28, 2010

4-Patch Strippy Project

About a year ago I made a 4-patch strippy quilt using the 13-Square foundation. 

image

I’ve been meaning to make another version using reproduction fabrics for quite a while.  Here it is (finally).  Hmmm.  I didn’t get the colors quite right in this photo.  (It’s a much prettier little quilt in person).  It finished at 11 14" by 11 3/4".

You can download a pdf file of directions on how to make this quilt  from the Projects 2010 page of my website.  Meanwhile, here are a few photos of the process.

Laying one inch squares in a design I’m hoping I’ll like once it’s all sewn up.

Here’s laying the first vertical row of patches, skipping over those rows where the sashing will go.

The foundation with all the patches added.  There’s a lot fewer patches to sew (obviously) with this project and it is just fast, fast, fast.

With the sashing strips glued on and ready to Fold and Sew.

The top and bottom sashing strips were added after the foundation rows were joined and the paper had been removed. 

Finally, ready to quilt with the design marked on Golden Threads tissue paper.  Though the quilt looks mostly square, it is actually one-half inch longer than it is wide.  Gotta love EQ.  I was able to take the quilting motif and stretch it out just a tad for the longer side.  The difference is so minor that you can’t tell just looking at it but with the correct sizing on the template, everything fit perfectly and I didn’t need to work in any fudge factor of my own.

Such a fun little project! 

Meanwhile, here it is, the end of September.  How did that happen?  The leaves on the honey locust tree are starting to turn, and my basil has gone to seed. It still feels like summer though – it’s 91 degrees outside, and the air conditioning is a-humming.

Still, it must be time to start thinking about Christmas projects, yes? 

1 comment:

  1. your process is very nice and simple to follow that way you can see how it will turn out ,How do you do the quilting with that big piece of paper over it am I missing something ,do you trace it? I would really like to know.thank you

    ReplyDelete